Yesterday I somehow managed to screw up my home partition. It was a cryptsetup-luks encrypted partition and it seems like I wrote over the beginning of the partition when updating grub, which I had to do due to some re-partitioning… Today was consequently mostly spent on fixing that mess. At home I usually keep a copy of the most current Fedora Rescue CD. Or several copies. Well – I am not at home. And the Ubuntu 7.10 Live CD does not support LVM… Quite a hazzle with a not-so-happy ending.

Anyway, my „new“ /home is now bigger (who would not like that) and my last backup is luckily less than two weeks old. Rdiff-backup is doing its thing and restoring (almost) all data.

Lessons learned:

  • backup, backup, backup
  • never screw with a system if you don’t have a rescue cd at hands
  • backup, backup, backup
  • rdiff-backup works really well *

Next time, I just won’t resize but delete stuff instead…

* somehow one directory within my ~/.evolution can not be restored. rdiff-backup hangs at 100% cpu and seems to do nothing on that 4 MB directory with ~20 files in it. I didn’t find anything on that, but if anyone knows something…

rdiff-backup and "Found too many current_mirror incs!"

If you use rdiff-backup or some program, which sits on top of it (e.g. backupninja) and you get errors similar to this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File „/usr/bin/rdiff-backup“, line 23, in ?
File „/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rdiff_backup/“, line 298, in error_check_Main
try: Main(arglist)
File „/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rdiff_backup/“, line 318, in Main
File „/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rdiff_backup/“, line 276, in take_action
elif action == „check-destination-dir“: CheckDest(rps[0])
File „/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rdiff_backup/“, line 780, in CheckDest
need_check = checkdest_need_check(dest_rp)
File „/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rdiff_backup/“, line 817, in checkdest_need_check
assert len(curmir_incs) == 2, „Found too many current_mirror incs!“
AssertionError: Found too many current_mirror incs

Then you might try to go to your rdiff-backup-data directory of your backup and delete all but the latest current-mirror-*.data files. At least my backups (simple rdiff-backup) are working again.